Each week, we will post several actions you can take in the upcoming week. These actions are coordinated with the greater Austin area groups, as well as with the national groups. As always, choose one or more as your interest and energy allow.
**WEEKLY ACTION ALERTS, MARCH 20-24**
#1 PHONE CALLS TO MOCS
Monday: Call Cornyn and Cruz to oppose Neil Gorsuch as SCOTUS pick. For background and sample scripts: Call scripts
#2 This is a set of actions about saving the ACA
1. Continue to call your MOCs, especially Carter. A vote is expected in the House on Thursday, so for maximum impact, make your calls Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. For an update on what's going on in the #TrumpCare process: TrumpCare Updates
2. On Wednesday and Thursday evening, our Indivisible chapter will be joining many others across Texas to hold candlelight vigils for the ACA. Our vigils will be Wednesday AND Thursday evenings, 8 PM, at Rep. Carter's office in Round Rock. If you can come to only one, that's fine! And if you can't come at all, please help boost the event. See the event pages for more details.
#3 Take part in any one of a number of key TexLege actions this week
SB 4 (anti-immigrant bill) and SB 6 (bathroom bill) are still in play; for these, it's time to call your House Reps. HJR 39, calling for a Convention of the States (to change the constitution!), is moving through the house. Companion bills have already passed the Senate. Public Testimony for SB 3 (School voucher bill) is on Tuesday. Public testimony for HB 200 (the House version of SB 8, the fetal tissue burial bill, which has already passed in the Senate) is on Wednesday. For loads of details and a day-by-day breakdown, see Actions for the week
#4 Mix and Mingle with other Indivisiblers
We need to support each other and create networks. Here are some upcoming meet ups:
1. Wednesday, March 22, 11 AM: Coffee Meet up with Indivisible ATX at Epoch Coffee at the Village, 2700 W. Anderson Ln., #409, Austin. Get a free bumper sticker!
2. Saturday, March 25, 11 AM-1 PM: District 25 Social at Black Star Co-op on N. Lamar. Indivisiblers from all districts are welcome.
3. Tuesday, March 28, 10 AM-11:30 AM: Coffee chat with Felicia M (the founder of Wilco Indivisible) at Cianfrani Coffee in Georgetown. Get some post cards!
#5 Voting rights and Degerrymandering work hand in hand
Here are two things you can do this week to encourage voting and help end gerrymandering in our state.
1. Call the members of the House Redistricting Committee and ask them to send both HJR 32 and HB 369 to the full House floor for a vote. Read more about the bills and their history here.
2. Join our action (still in development) for a voter registration drive within the next few weeks. We MUST help people get registered in time for the MAY 6 local elections. Every. Single. Vote. Counts. Contact Wilco Indivisible if you want to volunteer.
For more action ideas, check out the
Indivisible Action Calendar