Each week, we will post several actions you can take in the upcoming week. These actions are coordinated with the greater Austin area groups, as well as with the national groups. As always, choose one or more as your interest and energy allow.
Join the Week of Action against the Trump Tax Scam
The Trump Tax Scam will transfer trillions to corporations and the wealthiest Americans, slash trillions from essential programs like Medicare and Medicaid, and it WON’T create jobs.
1. Tell your representatives to vote NO!
Republican Call Script
2. Tell your friends why the Trump Tax Scam is bad for Texas.
3. Join us Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 12 p.m. Tell John Cornyn not to sell Texans out! Outside Chase Bank Building (John Cornyn’s office) at 221 W. 6th St.
4. Download, print, and send a postcard to your representatives! (sized for Avery 8386)
(Click on the link, the postcards are really cute!)
Show up for DACAmented youth
1. Ask your Republican Members of Congress to sign the DREAM Act.
2. Ask your Democratic Members of Congress to sign the DREAMer Pledge, which states that they will vote against the “continuing resolution” until a clean DREAM Act is included.
3. Thank your MOCs if they have signed on. Cosponsors can be found here and here.
4. Support United We Dream’s day of action on Thursday, Nov. 9.
5. More information on DACA, and sample call dialogue from the Indivisible Project: link
6. Download, print, and send a postcard to your representatives! (sized for Avery 8386).
Help spread the word about ACA Signup
ACA/Obamacare enrollment is happening NOW through Dec. 15. Please spread the word far and wide.
1. Use Cover Texas Now’s Texas toolkit to do outreach in your community.
2. Outreach materials (including Spanish-language) are available here.
3. Share the following messages on social media:
-The ACA is still here for us
-Financial help is available to lower your monthly costs
-Don’t wait! Enrollment ends on Dec. 15
-Plans, prices, and financial help change every year, so shop again for the best plan
-Local, in-person assistance is available to help you apply
4. In Central Texas, refer people to EnrollATX to find local enrollment assistance www.getenrolledatx.com.
Demand a truly bipartisan CHIP funding bill
THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT AS JOHN CARTER VOTED FOR THIS AWFUL BILL
The House finally passed a CHIP bill. That should be good news, but it’s not. The bill was not bipartisan, and it extends CHIP coverage by ripping health insurance from as many 700,000 people. House Republicans once again are playing politics with our health care, and this time they are holding the lives of children in the balance.
Like many other states, Texas is going to run out of CHIP funding very soon, and families will start getting notices in December that their coverage will end soon.
Call your member of Congress and express your displeasure at the bill passed last week which changes Medicaid income eligibility requirements and raids the Affordable Care Act’s Prevention and Public Health Fund (Carter, Flores, McCaul, and Smith voted FOR; Williams did not vote)
Call Rep. Doggett and thank him for holding the line to protect the 400,000 Texas kids who depend on CHIP without harming others’ access to health insurance
Call Cruz and Cornyn and demand a clean extension of CHIP with bipartisan agreement on both policy and funding
Read more about CHIP in Texas in this recent Dallas Morning News article.
For more action ideas, check out the
Indivisible Action Calendar